Home > Cincinnati Theft Defense Attorney > Cincinnati Fraud Attorney > Worker’s compensation fraud
Worker’s compensation fraud
Worker’s compensation fraud is a serious criminal offense in the state of Ohio with harsh penalties if convicted.
Worker’s compensation can be defined according the Ohio Revised Code (ORC 2913.48) as anyone who has the purpose to defraud or knowingly facilitates fraud does any of the following:
- Receive worker’s compensation benefits to which you are not entitled;
- Made a false or misleading statement or caused one to be made for the purpose of receiving worker’s compensation benefits or payment;
- Altered or falsified any records or documents that are necessary to validate your worker’s compensation claim;
- Entered into an agreement or conspiracy to defraud the bureau or self-insuring employer by making or causing a false claim be made;
- Made or caused a false statement to be made regarding your employees when that particular information is used to determine your payment owed to the bureau for their coverage;
- Altered, forged or created a false worker’s compensation certificate;
- Failed to get or maintain worker’s compensation benefits with the intention to defraud the bureau.
If you are convicted of worker’s compensation fraud, the resulting penalties depend upon the specific value of how much was defrauded in your case.
- If the amount involved in your case is less than $1,000, you will face a first degree misdemeanor. This entails up to a year in jail.
- If the amount involved in your case is between $1,000 and $7,500, you will face a fifth degree felony. This entails at least a year in prison and extensive fines.
- If the amount involved in your case is between $7,500 and $150,000, you will face a fourth degree felony. This entails at least a year in prison and extensive fines.
- If the amount involved in your case is greater than $150,000, you will face a third degree felony. This entails at least a year in prison and extensive fines.
Facing criminal charges? Contact us today.
Criminal charges can be an overwhelming and frightening experience. You are probably worried about your freedoms and privileges being at stake and have a lot of questions. You can rest assured, because the Cincinnati Criminal Defense team is here for you. Get the justice that you deserve. Don’t hesitate to contact us today at (513) 338-1890 or email us at email@example.com.