Home > Areas Served – Criminal Defense Help in Northern Kentucky and Ohio > Fort Thomas Criminal Defense Attorney
Fort Thomas Criminal Defense Attorney
Located in Campbell County, Kentucky, Fort Thomas is home to more than 16,000 residents. Fort Thomas is classified as a home rule-class city and is the largest city of its kind in Campbell County. Despite its size, Fort Thomas enjoys low crime rates compared to other cities in Kentucky and the United States.
Low crime rate aside, DUI offenses and traffic violations keep the Fort Thomas Police busy. Getting caught committing any of these crimes can lead to jail time, hefty fines, and possible revocation of your driving privileges. You should never trivialize a ticket or charge; instead, speak with a Fort Thomas criminal defense attorney to know your rights and options.
DUI Offenses in Fort Thomas
A drink or two after work, a girl’s night out, or a dinner party with some friends can all lead to potential problems with the law. Driving under the influence (DUI), also referred to as operating a vehicle while under the influence (OVI) is a serious offense. Whether you believe you are safe to drive home, if your blood alcohol content (BAC) is over the legal limit if 0.08% you could face any of the following DUI charges:
- First OVI – As a first time offender, driving under the influence is classified as the first OVI. While you may get away with no jail time, if found guilty, a conviction creates a criminal record that will cause more problem if you are arrested a charge for a subsequent DUI offense.
- Second OVI – The consequences will increase with a second DUI charge. If you have a previous OVI conviction, you could spend time behind bars, in addition to fines, and loss of your driving privileges.
- Felony OVI – Generally driving under the influence is charged as a misdemeanor, but under certain conditions, you could face a felony DUI. If you have three or more previous OVI convictions and any other felony on your record, you will be prosecuted for a felony offense if you caught driving under the influence in Fort Thomas.
There is a lot at stake if you are pulled over for suspicion of driving under the influence. As soon as possible you should get in touch with a Fort Thomas criminal defense lawyer.
Traffic Violation in Fort Thomas
There are a lot of traffic violations ranging in varying penalties. It is very easy for a driver to face a traffic violation, especially in a highly populated city like Fort Thomas. Minor infractions can lead to warnings or small fines. However, the following are more serious violations and should be avoided if possible:
- Speeding – This is a very typical infraction and even in the absence of an intention to drive over the speed limit, the law relating to speeding is strict. How fast you were going will determine the consequences of the violation.
- Suspended license and driving – If your license is suspended, it is a criminal offense to drive on that license. If caught, you will face not only a fine but increased consequences associated with your driving privileges.
- Driving with no license – It is against the law to operate a vehicle without a government issued driving license. This is a serious offense, and if convicted the consequences are grave.
- Hit and run – A motor vehicle accident can be just that, an accident. However, if you refuse to stop after an accident or fail to provide information at the scene, you will face hot and run charges.
- Reckless driving – Reckless driving is not taken lightly in Fort Thomas. This criminal behavior can lead to injury to individuals and damage to property. Accordingly, the consequences could also include time behind bars.
Your best chance of beating any criminal charge is to hire a competent criminal defense attorney. Even if you plan on pleading guilty, you should never approach the court unrepresented.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Brad Groene Can Help
At Luftman, Heck & Associates, we possess years of criminal defense experience helping clients who find themselves on the wrong side of the law. A DUI charge or traffic violation can cause great distress for you and your family. Let the Brad Groene and his team help you in your time of need. Call us at (513) 338-1890 today to set up a consultation.